Perhaps you’ve landed on this page seeking to answer the question, “Why do I need a Microsoft SharePoint consultation?” Maybe you’re well aware of the web-based Office-integrative application and just need the right team of experts guiding you. Perhaps you don’t know what SharePoint is and you’re looking for experienced IT software pros to walk you through it, end-to-end. Well, we’re proud to say we can provide answers to all three of those, as Microsoft SharePoint consulting is something at which we excel.
Microsoft SharePoint: What it Is and Why You Need It
SharePoint is a web-based application that integrates with Microsoft Office. Launched in 2001, SharePoint is primarily sold as a document management and storage system, but the product is highly configurable and usage varies substantially between organizations. SharePoint currently has 160 million users across 75,000 customer organizations. As sought-after Microsoft solutions consultants, we share with you here the various editions of SharePoint which have different functions, such as:
Microsoft SharePoint Server
SharePoint Server is provided to organizations that seek greater control over SharePoint’s behavior or design. This product is installed on the customer’s IT infrastructure. It receives less frequent updates, but has access to a wider set of features and customization capabilities. There are three editions of SharePoint Server: Standard, Enterprise, and Foundation (free) which was discontinued in 2016. These servers may be provisioned as normal virtual/cloud servers, or as hosted services, as Intelice Solution offers as one of our Microsoft SharePoint solutions.
Microsoft SharePoint Standard
Microsoft SharePoint Standard builds on the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation in a few key product areas:
- Sites: Audience targeting, governance tools, Secure store service, web analytics functionality.
- Communities: ‘MySites’ (personal profiles including skills management, and search tools), enterprise wikis, organization hierarchy browser, tags and notes.
- Content: Improved tooling and compliance for document & record management, managed metadata, word automation services, content type management.
- Search: Better search results, search customization abilities, mobile search, ‘Did you mean?’, OS search integration, Faceted Search, and metadata/relevancy/date/location-based refinement options.
- Composites: Pre-built workflow templates, BCS profile pages.
SharePoint Standard licensing includes a CAL (client access license) component and a server fee. SharePoint Standard may also be licensed through a cloud model.
Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise
Though built upon SharePoint Standard, Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise features can be unlocked simply by providing an additional license key. Extra features in SharePoint Enterprise include:
- Search thumbnails and previews, rich web indexing, better search results.
- Business intelligence integration, dashboards, and business data surfacing.
- PowerPivot and PerformancePoint.
- Microsoft Office Access, Visio, Excel, and InfoPath Forms services.
- SharePoint Enterprise Search extensions.
Microsoft’s hosted SharePoint is typically bundled in Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions, but can be purchased outright. It is limited to a core set of collaboration, file hosting, and document and content management scenarios, and is updated on a frequent basis, but is typically comparable with SharePoint Enterprise. It also includes highly-integrative social and newsfeed capabilities to further keep you ahead of the game in your business communications.
OneDrive for Business Sync
This is a desktop program that you can use to sync documents from a team site or OneDrive for Business to your computer for offline use. Learn more about OneDrive for Business here, or from an Intelice representative who can provide more details on this agile Microsoft SharePoint solution.
Need a Microsoft SharePoint Consultant?
We’ve presented you examples of the different and aspects of the SharePoint platform as an introduction to our Microsoft SharePoint solutions. Are you looking for Microsoft SharePoint consulting in Washington DC? Contact Intelice Solutions to get the best Microsoft SharePoint solutions for growing small and mid-size businesses. Call one of our consultants now at (301) 664-6800 for more details.